This buttery, almond flavoured cherry cake is an old family favourite! I’ve recently found it works just as well in this gluten free version made with almond and coconut flour.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
|Passive Time||2 hours|
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 cups cherries pitted and well drained if frozen
- 5/8 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup white flour *(or 1 c. almond flour or 3/4 c. almond flour, 1/4 c. coconut flour and 1 tbsp tapioca starch.)
- pinch salt
- Set oven to 375°. Line a 9" square baking dish with parchment paper. Pit 2 cups of fresh cherries, or thaw and drain 2 cups of frozen. Beat whites until stiff in mixer before it's contaminated with butter, then set aside in another dish.
- Cream butter. Add sugar and egg yolks and almond extract and whip vigorously. Mix in flour(s) and salt.
- Fold half of beaten egg whites into the batter with a spatula - not with the beaters! It will lighten the batter to allow you to fold in the rest of the egg whites without losing their fluffyness.
- Spread into prepared pan. Stud with cherries. Don't skimp!
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375°
- Let cool on a wire rack until you can lift it out of the pan to continue cooling. Enjoy!
Share this Recipe
2 thoughts on “Cherry Cake Two Ways – Gluten free or not”
Thank you, Judy! I loved it when you served it to me a few weeks ago…
Give it a try before cherry season is over!