This recipe was shared to me by my sister-in-law Susheela one cold day last winter. Might be perfect to share with your family this cold Covid long weekend too.
Don’t let the coconut scare you – coconut creme is just the last ingredient to thicken and add creaminess to the soup.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||1+ hour|
- generous dolop of ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 large onion - diced
- 2 clovers fresh garlic - diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder - or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups winter vegetables - chopped carrots, turnip, cauliflower, celey, broccoli, kale, potato or sweet potato work well. Whatever you have in your fridge.
- 4 cups broth - to start Homemade is best!
- 1/2 - 1 cup cooked lentils Brown or red. Canned is okay
- 1/2 large can full fat coconut milk
- Saute onion and garlic in ghee or olive oil until soft. add curry power and cumin and cook for two minutes.
- add chopped vegetables and saute for 10 minutes until soft and golden.
- Pour in broth (or add to broth) and add the lentils.
- When the vegetables are soft, blend 1/3 of the pot, or use an immersion blender. This produces a chunky soup. You can also blend until smooth if you like it that way.
- Add coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Share this Recipe